Friday, January 17, 2014


Hamlet                                                                        ~ Ahmad Shamloo


To be
Or not to be?

It is not a question                                                        
But a temptation

Poisoned wine
In the goblet
And the venom-soaked bodkin                                           
In the villain’s hand

Everything is clear
Beforehand
And well calculated

And the curtain
Will fall
In a determined time

As if my father had slept
In the garden of Gethsemane
That my role is the legacy
Of his deceitful trust

And the bed of his deception
My uncle’s glee

[ I perceived this all suddenly
With a quick glance
By mere chance
At the onlookers 
That watch ]

Only if trust                          
Like another Satan
Had not unawares
Lulled into forgetfulness
Yet another Cain
To another Gethsemane

God, O God!

What trickery
But what trickery!

That he who sits beyond
The discolored curtain of gloom watching
Is aware of this tragedy in full
And already knows
My tale of sorrow
Word for word

Beyond that pale curtain of darkness
Eyes have paid
Coins of silver and gold
To witness my agony
And joyfully applaud
The free game of tears
In the dissonance of the voice
And breath of him
Who pretentiously
Takes doubt in the truth

How then can I
Plead their aid
When in the end
They summon
My uncle and I
to bow before them as equals?

Though my suffering
Had sent them word
That Claudius
Is not an uncle
But an import
Most common

And the curtain...
In a moment determined...

Notwithstanding
From that moment
Truth
Like a wandering restless ghost
Was revealed to me
And the rot of the world
Like the smoke of a torch
Upon the stages of falsehood
Burnt my nostrils

It is not a question
But a temptation:

To be
Or, not to be.
© 2014 Translated by Kourosh Bahar


No comments:

Post a Comment